Take your gold standard to the next level with these recipes.
- 8 ounces honey
- 1-2 tablespoons dried herbs or spices
- 1 cup mild honey, like clover or orange blossom
1. Place herbs or spices in a clean glass jar. Pour the honey on top and stir well to combine. Tightly close the jar lid.
2. Allow the honey to infuse for 5 to 7 days (or longer, if you want a stronger flavor). Every day or so, flip the jar upside down, making sure all of the herbs and spices get coated.
3. After a week, warm the infused honey in the jar until slightly runny (dipping the closed jar in a warm water bath works well). Pour the honey through a mesh strainer, and discard the herbs or spices. Store your newly infused honey in a jar in a cupboard.
HERB + SPICE COMBINATIONS
Lavender + Cardamom Pods
Good on plain yogurt, vanilla ice cream, or fresh berries.
Ground Ginger + Lemon Zest
Use it in tea (hot or iced), or add it to a hot toddy. Since you can’t strain ground ginger, this honey will get spicier the longer it sits!
Rosemary + Orange Zest
Whisk into salad dressing, or use it to make a compound butter for grilled chicken or steamed vegetables
Black Peppercorns + Sage
Spoon over salty cheeses like brie or Parmesan, or drizzle over sliced apples.
Dried Apple + Cinnamon Stick
Stir into oatmeal, slather on toast or cornbread, or drizzle on top of simple cakes instead of sugary frosting.